- Simplicity by John Michael Talbot
- The Lessons of St. Francis: How to Bring Simplicity and Spirituality into Your Daily Life by John Michael Talbot
- The Holy Way: Practices for a Simple Life by Paula Huston
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau. The story of Thoreau’s two-year experiment in self-reliance and minimalism.
- Plain and Simple: A Woman’s Journey to the Amish by Sue Bender. A California urbanite asks, “is there another way to lead a good life?” and lives with an Amish family for a while to find out.
- Make Room for God: Clearing Out the Clutter by Susan K. Rowland
- Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter by Elaine St. James
- The Power of Less: Do Less, Get More Done by Leo Babauta
- The Tightwad Gazette: Promoting Thrift as a Viable Alternative Lifestyle by Amy Dacyczyn
- Small is Beautiful by E.F. Schumacher
- The Simple Life: Plain Living and High Thinking in American Culture by David Shi (New York: Oxford University Press, 1985)
- Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living by Tsh Oxenreider (Cincinnati: Betterway Home Books / F + W Media, 2010)
- Into Great Silence Directed by Philip Groning. A documentary showing the day-to-day life of Carthusian monks.
- The Way Directed by Emilio Estevez. A man grieves the death of his son, and also honors his son’s memory, by walking the historic “el camino de Santiago” (“the way of St. James) in France and Spain. On the journey he discovers the beauty of community and collaboration.